~ www.larkin.net.au ~
TeachTech has moved to here!

Please note that this entire blog has moved to www.larkin.net.au and these pages will no longer be updated. Please update your links and feeds.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sootie is a hero!

Tonight my cat Sootie did something quite remarkable! I was in one part of the house near the bedrooms and Sootie came in looking alarmed and frightened. He miaowed loudly and was looking down the hallway. I thought that perhaps there was a burglar in the house and I gingerly went to investigate. When I reached the living room at the other end of our home there was smoke gathering around the ceiling! There was a fire! I looked for the seat of the blaze but could not find any. There was just smoke thinly accumulating near the ceiling. Perhaps a "down" light in the ceiling had shorted.

I called my neighbour Dale. He switched off the power. He had a look in the roof but found nothing. We went back to the living room and came to the conclusion that the TV had shorted based on the smell of the smoke. We restored power and the TV is indeed dead. Perhaps it had made a loud noise when it shorted. Anyway, Sootie is a legend and perhaps he saved the day!

Our smoke alarm is further away, nearer the bedrooms. I think the smoke would have eventually set it off if I had not opened the windows and the door. Sootie was uneasy for quite a while afterwards. He hid in our bed during the drama.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Name: John Larkin
Occupation: Educator
Hometown: Wollongong, NSW.
Favorite Quotes:
"To get what you want you must learn to give up wanting".
Now Reading:

Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton.
The Early Asimov by Isaac Asimov.


Me on the web
John Larkin
Flickr
Del.icio.us
Jaiku
Twitter
LiveFM
Prisoner of War
EdTech Blogroll
Friends et al

Twitter