~ www.larkin.net.au ~
TeachTech has moved to here!

Please note that this entire blog has moved to www.larkin.net.au and these pages will no longer be updated. Please update your links and feeds.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

How can a teacher integrate Web 2.0 technologies into the curriculum?

Who do you teach? Primary school aged students? Secondary school students? Tertiary students? I teach secondary schools students. I teach history. I have also taught a number of other subjects. How can you integrate Web 2.0 technologies into a teaching and learning programme? How can you weave Web 2.0 tools into your lessons. I have some ideas I would like to share.

Recently I developed a teaching programme that I would like to call an Integrated Teaching and Learning Unit. It is incomplete. A work in progress.

It covers three different key learning areas (KLA) of the syllabus taught in secondary schools in NSW, Australia. The three KLAs are History, Geography and Technology & Applied Science (TAS). A number of Web 2.0 technologies are incorporated into the teaching unit. They include:

Wikis
Blogs
Twitter
Jaiku
Podcasting
Google Reader
Google Maps
Swickis

Additional tools include Excel, Photoshop and Comic Life for example. The ITLU is designed for a unit entirely conducted in a school with a One To One computing environment.

I am yet to develop assessment tools for the project. The teaching programme is designed to cover five weeks with 2 hours devoted to the project each school day.

Feel free to explore the sample ITLU which I have also linked to my Web 2.0 web page. I would like to hear what you do in your schools to embed Web 2.0 technologies in your curriculum. Feel free to provide feedback on the programme.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Name: John Larkin
Occupation: Educator
Hometown: Wollongong, NSW.
Favorite Quotes:
"To get what you want you must learn to give up wanting".
Now Reading:

Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton.
The Early Asimov by Isaac Asimov.


Me on the web
John Larkin
Flickr
Del.icio.us
Jaiku
Twitter
LiveFM
Prisoner of War
EdTech Blogroll
Friends et al

Twitter